Products & Servicescrack
Alphabetical Listing
Forms and Documents
Interactive
Resources & Training
Church Health
Leadership Development
Reaching Out
Finance
Kindred Productions
Publications
Theology
Tools for the local church
Christian Press
Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies
Mennonitische Rundschau Index
Canadian Conference of MB Churches
General Conference of MB Churches
John A. Toews Library
Katie Peters Genealogical Collection
MB Provincial Conferences and Churches
British Columbia Archives
Alberta Archives
Saskatchewan Archives
Saskatchewan Provincial Archives
Woodrow Gospel Chapel
Hope Fellowship Church
Gateway Community Church
Parkland Community Church
Elbow Christian Fellowship Church
Manitoba Archives
Ontario Archives
Quebec Archives
Maritimes Archives
Periodicals and newspapers
Other Mennonite and MB Organizations
About the Centre for MB Studies
Links to Related Sites
Archival Holdings
Theological Resources
Text To Terabyte Project
Mennonite Mirror
Festival Quarterly
Odessaer Zeitung
Mennonite Reporter
Sophia
PrintShareText Size:Small TextMedium TextLarge Text
 

Formerly Elim Mennonite Brethren Church
2 cm of textual records and one reel of microfilm.


Administrative history
The Gnadenau church began holding services in homes in 1908 and had 34 members. In 1910 the church spilt into two groups, Gnadenau (in the Flowing Well area in the north) and Elim (around the Kelstern area). The Elim church then joined the Mennonite Brethren Conference with 52 members. Peter P. Penner was the first minister.

From 1911 to 1918 the Elim congregation met in the Queen Centre school. The first building was built on a farm about 3 miles west of Kelstern in 1918. The members of the congregation originated through immigration from Russia, Germany, and the United States.

In 1954 the church building was moved to the town of Kelstern. In 1968 the Gnadenau and Elim churches joined and continued to meet in the Elim Church. A new church was built in 1998. In ca. 1998 the church name changed from Elim Mennonite Brethren Church to Kelstern Community Church.

Congregational leaders prior to 1950 included Peter Penner, Jacob Mueller, Gustav Ewert, Paul Koop, Jacob J. Knelson, Abram J. Redekopp and John G. Redekopp. Leaders after 1954 were paid pastors which include Jacob Kehler (1953–1956), Henry Dueck (1956–1958), Jacob Schmidt (1959–1962), J.J. Thiessen (1967–1973), Henry Martens (1973–1977), Earl Wanamaker (1977–1979), Wesley Ulriksen (1979–1983), Bill McGladdery (1983–1989), Archie Jantzen (1989–1993), Arnie Armstrong (1994–2000), Ray Ulriksen (2001– ). The church’s address is now Hodegeville, Saskatchewan.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of membership records, congregational meeting minutes, young peoples records, and histories. These records show the activities and members of the church. The history items give a good account of the church’s life up to 1985.

Custodial history
The custodial history of this fonds in unclear.

Notes
Textual file list

Volume 615
  1. Young people’s meetings at the Elim MB Church showing the topic titles and speakers. – 1911–1945.
  2. Elim Mennonite Brethren church of Kelstern 1910–1985 history book. – 1985.
  3. Elim MB Church history. – 1979, 1985, 1989.
  4. Church directory. -- [198-?].
  5. Annual reports. -- 2001-2003.
  6. Membership list and church correspondence. -- 2001.
  7. Bulletins. -- 2001.
  8. Bulletins. -- 2005.
  9. Bulletins. -- 2006.
Microfilm file list

Reel 46