83 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel.
The Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church, located in the Eagle Creek area, is a member of the Canadian Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches, Northern District. Early pioneers from Kiev, Russia began to settle in the Eagle Creek District from 1897 to 1903. These pioneers were Christians who had been persecuted for their faith in Russia and had been baptized, sometimes secretly, by the Baptist Christians in Russia. The Arelee pioneers built two places for worship because travelling long distances with oxen was inconvenient. The first baptismal service was held in 1903. With increased attendance and changing circumstances, the two places were amalgamated. In 1908, two local men, Apalon Melashenko and Luka Krowchenko, were ordained to the ministry by Elder David Dyck.
The first church building was erected on S.E. section 12, Township 38, Range 12, the present site of the cemetery. In 1917 this place of worship became too small and the old place of worship was sold and a new one was erected. In 1946 the present building in the town of Arelee was built.
Leading ministers of the congregation have been Apalon Melashenko (1908–1940), Luka Krowchenko (1908–1945), Sidor Motiko (1945–1960), David B. Wiens (served as assistant to the previous two pastors), Pete Unrau (assistant to the pastor 1957–1958), David Bergen (1960–1964), Mark Gripp (1964–1967), Waldemar Gripp (1967–1971), John Siemens (1972–1974), William Danko (1975–1977), Rueben Andres (1977–1984), John Willems (1984–1988), Harry Schmidt (1989–1991), Garth Fisher (1992–1993), Archie Jantzen (1994–2008).
The language of worship is English. The transition from German occured in 1960.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the following series: Membership and family records; minutes of congregational meetings; financial records; and historical records.
Many of the records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church membership and family records.
- Location: Volume 601, 1285, 1286.
- Finding aid: The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BF509.
- Finding aid for microfilm: R14, pp. 977–1561; R15, pp. 1–156.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- Description updated October 2010.
128 pp.; microfilm.
Membership and family record Book I and Book II, available on microfilm only.
Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church minutes of congregational meetings.
- Finding aid: Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church R15, pp. 28–156.
482 pp.; microfilm and 61 cm of textual records.
Book I, II, and III, 1908–1967, are in the Russian language. Book IV, 1960–1971, is in the English language. These minutes are available on microfilm and 1908–1917 have been translated into English.
Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church financial records.
- Finding aid: Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church R14, pp. 977–1459, volume 601, 1285, 1286.
20 cm of textual records; microfilm.
Book V includes records from 1939–1968. Book VI consists of Sunday school financial records from 1955–1968. These records are available on microfilm only.
Ledger books have financial records and financial reports are included in the congregational records.
Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church historical records.
- Finding aid: Arelee Mennonite Brethren Church R14, pp. 1460–1561 and R15, pp. 1–27. Volumes 1285 and 1286.
2 cm of textual records and 1 photograph.
This series consists of Arelee’s diamond jubilee yearbook (1908–1968); a Sunday school manual by the Union Gospel Press Division with a picture of the Arelee church on the cover, and a file of historical notes including a photograph of the church (1984).
Textual file list
Volume 601: Historical records
Volume 1285: Financial records
- Yearbook: “Diamond Jubilee of Mennonite Brethren Church,” (2 copies). – 1908–1968.
- Senior Bible Teacher: Picture of the Arelee MB Church on the cover. – 1981.
- Historical notes. – 1984.
- Translation of the Eagle Creek Community Russian Mennonite Brotherhood Church book for the record of all decisions of the brotherhood board (council) [Arlee Mennonite Brethren Church] for the years 1908–1917. – [199-?].
- “Widening the Fellowship: Mennonite Brethren ministry to Russian and Jewish People”, by Ken Reddig in Mennonite Historian September 2005 p. 1–2.
- Hymns, No.2. - n.d.
- Sunday School register. File cards. - 1979.
- Sunday School register. - 1963-1986.
- Congregational library catalogue. - n.d.
- Congregational meeting minutes. 1946-1965. Financial records. 1952. Letter. n.d. - 1946-1965
- Resignation letters of various congregational offices. - 1988
- Photos. Arelee M. B. Cemetery - 2 views. 4 Ravine students in Bible School. - n.d.
- Photo, Sidor Motiko??. - n.d.
- Clippings - various sources. - n.d.
- Notes: congregational events. - 1919-1965
Volume 1286: Congregational Minutes
- Annual General Meeting reports. - 2006-2008.
- Congregational meeting minutes. - 2005-2008.
- Financial reports. Charity status. - 2002, 2006.
- Financial statements. - 2005-2006.
- Charity status. - 2003-2005.
- Arelee M.B. Cemetery meeting minutes and financial records. - 2004-2008.
- Financial records. Congregational meeting minutes 2008. - 2007-2008.
- Sunday School registers. - 1964-1982.
- Young People Committee meeting minutes. - 1960.
- Ladies Fellowship meeting minutes 1958-1960. Constitution of the Women's Missionary Fellowship n.d. - 1958-[19-?].
- Ladies Aid meeting minutes, financial records, correspondence. - 1930-1962.
- Sunday School register. - 1963-1980.
- Correspondence. - 1973,1979.
- Death notices. - 1985-1987.
- Annual meeting reports. - 1962.
- Financial statements. - 1978,1983-1985.
- Christian Endeavor records and correspondence. - 1917-1957, 1966.
- Young People Committee programmes 1968-1970. Records 1957-1969. - 1957-1970.
- Constitution of the Arelee M. B. Church. - 1967.
- Correspondence. - 1962-1968.
- Arelee M.B. Cemetery records. - n.d.
- Membership transfer records. Membership certificates 1962-1967. - 1962-2004.
- Congregational records. - 1931-1947.
- Registration as a charitable organization. - 1967.
- Refugee family records. - 1980.
- Prov. conf. statistical reports. - 1964-1983.
- Stucco contract; meeting house. - 1985-1987.
- Ministry questionnaire. - 1993.
- Congregational meeting minutes. - 2001-2003.
- Executive comm. meeting minutes. - 1993-1999.
- Correspondence 1994-1995. Annual reports 1991-1994. - 1991-1995.
- Congregational officers. 1978,1982.
- Financial statements. - 1973-1980.
- Harvest Saskatchewan candle. - 2007
Microfilm file list
- Ledger books. Congregational meeting minutes. - 1908-1993.
- Marriage register. - 1901-1937.
- Congregational records and clippings. - 1916-1938.
- Membership and family register. - 1908-1961.
- 75th anniversary album. - 1983.
- Financial record ledger books (3). - 1939-1969.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book I – Russian and some English). – 1908–1930. -- p. 977-1168.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book II – Russian). – Jan.1930–Oct.1953. -- p. 1169-1271.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book III – Russian). – Jan.1954–Dec.1967. – p.1272–1358 (+125). – Note: It is unclear what this number represents, but is included because it was in a previous finding aid.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book IV-English). -- Dec. 1960-Oct. 1971. -- p. 1359-1459 (+100)
- Financial Records (Book V). -- 1939-1968. -- p. 1460-1961 (+95)
- Financial Records (Book VI). -- 1955-1968. -- p. 1-27.
- Membership and Family Records (Book VII). – ca.1956–1969. – p.28–101.
- Membership and Family Records (Book VIII). – 1937–[197-] – p.102–156 (+54). – Note: It is unclear what this number represents, but is included because it was in a previous finding aid.