14 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel.
In 1926, fifteen families settled in the Lena area. These Mennonite settlers felt the need to join together for some worship and fellowship. At first the congregation met in homes but then the Plum Hollow School, near Lena, was made available. In 1928, the congregation decided to meet in two locations, one in Holmfield and one in Lena. The official name of the two groups was the Holmfield Mennonite Brethren Church. The Holmfield group met in various homes and then rented a school. Once a month, joint communion services with the Lena group, as well as baptisms, were held in the town hall or the local United Church. These services were whole day events. In the 1940s, when car travel became more common place the joint services took place only in the morning.
The Holmfield group merged with the Lena group in 1959 as a result of dissension among the group and declining membership. By the early 1960s, English was mostly used in the services. In 1967, the congregation decided to build a new church building in Killarney because of lack of space. The first service in this new building was on Christmas Eve. In 1968, the name officially changed to Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church, and in 2002 the name was changed to Lakeview Community Church.
The leaders of the Lena church included: Franze Enns (1930–1936), Gerhard Hildebrand (1937–1945), Jacob Poetker (1946–1958). The leaders of the Holmfield church included: Heinrich Unger (1930–1936), Heinrich Derksen (1937), Peter Schulz (1938–1950), P. F. Sawatzky (1951–1952), P. Schulz (1953–1957), J. D. Froese (1958). When the churches merged, the leaders included: J. F. Poetker (1959–1965), G. P. Martens (1966), Harry Martens (1967–1972), Abram J. Neufeld (1973–1975), Nick Sawatzky (1976), Ernie Bergen (1977–1984), Walter Janzen (1986–1989), Garry Harms (1991), Dan Stobbe (1992–2004), Allan Labun, Interim (2004), Stephan Bauer (2005- ).
The language of worship is English and German.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of historical information, congregational minutes from the Holmfield and Lena congregations, membership and family records, annual reports, congregational meeting minutes church council meeting minutes and weekly bulletins.
Some of the records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church history.
- Volume 421; 1333.
- Finding aid: The records are classified under Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BC508 (series description and file list available).
- Finding aid for microfilm: R88, pp 1224–2058, R133, pp 1–246.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
- Updated by Yvonne Snider-Nighswander October 18, 2011.
1974, 1981, 1984.
0.5 cm of textual records.
This series consists of three historical sketches, information for the historical commission and some lists of the first members of the churches
Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church annual reports.
- Finding aid: Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church file list no. 1.
248 pp; microfilm.
This series consists of the annual reports of the congregation.
Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church congregational meetings.
- Finding aid: microfilm R88, pp1735–1983.
1 cm of textual records and 360 pp (microfilm).
This series consists of congregational minutes from the Lena and Holmfield churches when they were two separate locations and the congregational minutes after they merged together.
- Finding aid: Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church file list no. 2.
Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church Council Meetings.
- microfilm R88, pp 1374–1734; R133, pp1-246.
74 pp; microfilm.
This series consists of the church council meeting minutes.
Lakeview Mennonite Brethren church membership and family records.
- Finding aid: microfilm R88, pp1984–2058.
148 pp; microfilm.
This series consists of family and marriage registers, membership registers, baptismal registers and a burial register.
Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church bulletins.
- Finding aid: microfilm R88, pp 1224–1373.
11 cm of textual records.
This series consists of weekly bulletins.
Textual file list
- Finding aid: Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church file list no. 3–12.
- History. – 1974, 1981, 1984.
- Holmfield and Lena Congregational Minutes. – 1928–1945.
- Bulletins. – 1985–1989.
- Bulletins. – 1990.
- Bulletins. – 1991.
- Bulletins. – 1992.
- Bulletins. – 1993.
- Bulletins. – 1994.
- Bulletins. – 1995.
- Bulletins. – 1996.
- Bulletins. – 1997.
- Bulletins. – 1998.
- Church Album. – 1988.
- Guidelines for Committees. – 1980.
- Directory -- [1989?].
- Bulletins. -- 2005.
- Bulletins. -- 2006.
- Bulletins. -- 2007.
Bulletins. -- 2008.
2. Bulletins. -- 2009.
3. Bulletins. -- 2010.
Microfilm file list
- Family and Marriage Register (Book I). – 1878–1951. – p.1224–1266.
- Membership Register (Book I). – 1888–1952. – p.1267–1269.
- Baptismal Register (Book I). – 1888–1961. – p.1270–1276.
- Baptismal Register (Book II). – 1916–1974. – p.1349–1359.
- Membership Register (Book II). – 1916–1979. – p.1342–1348.
- Family and Marriage Register (Book II). – ca.1926–vs.1977. – p.1277–1341.
- Marriage Register (Book III). – 1970–1979. – p.1360–1371.
- Burial Register (Book III). – 1973–1979. – p.1372–1373.
- Baptismal Register (Book III). – 1977–1979. – p.1372–1372 (4 pages).
- Annual Reports of Congregation (Book V). – 1964–1978. – p.1735–1983.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book IV). – May 1951–May 1979. – p.1374–1734.
- Church Council Meeting Minutes (Book VI). – Feb.1975–Apr.1979. – p.1984–2058.