1925-1980, 1990, 2005, 2007-2009
5.5 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel.
In 1926 there were 30 Mennonite families from Russia living in the Elm Creek, Culross, and Barnsley districts of Manitoba. The families represented three denominations including Evangelical Mennonite, Mennonite General Conference and the Mennonite Brethren. Jacob Loewen served as leader at this time. In 1929 a group of 23 people became an affiliated of the Winkler MB Church. In 1931, they officially organized as the Elm Creek MB Church. The group met in local schools and because of the difficulties of not having their own building, the congregation decided to build their own church. Many people moved to Elm Creek from Saskatchewan and in 1944, the building was enlarged and a basement was added. In 1950, a larger church was built and in 1964, an extension added. In 1978 a fellowship hall was built along side the church. Through the years the church was able to keep an active youth group and choir.
The leaders of the church included: H. J. Wiebe (1931–1936), J. G. Wiens (1937–1946), H. H. Enns (1947–1953), J. G. Wiens (1954–1959), N. J. Dyck (1960–1963), Jacob W. Kroeker (1964–1972), J. P. Neufeld (1973), Elvin Penner (1974–1975), Neil Funk (1978–1983), John Balzer (1985–1987), Harold Reimer (1989–1990), John Willems (1992–2007), Noel Hudson (2007- ).
The language of worship is English. The transition from German occured in the 1960's.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of membership records, minutes from the congregational and council meetings, youth committee program outlines, historical sketches, church bulletins and one letter.
Some of the textual records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.
- Volume 419.
- Finding aid: The records are classified under the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches inventory BC505 (series description and file list available).
- Finding aid for microfilm: R85, pp. 137–1618.
- Described by Bert Friesen, updated by Conrad Stoesz May 12, 2009, updated by Yvonne Snider-Nighswander October 12, 2011.
- Microfilm file list adapted from a previous finding aid by Leslie Wiebe June 2003.
Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church membership records. – 1925–1979.
186 pp.; microfilm.
This series consists of three family registers microfilmed in 1979.
Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church congregational meetings. – 1929–1975.
- Finding aid: microfilm R85, pp 146–331.
1070 pp.; microfilm.
This series consists of the minutes of membership meetings.
Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church council meetings. – 1947–1961, 1972–1975.
- Finding aid: microfilm R85, pp. 332–1041.
140 pp; microfilm.
This series consists of the minutes of church council meetings.
- Finding aid: microfilm R85, pp 1405–1541.
Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church Jugendverein. – 1932–1954.
56 pp; microfilm.
This series consists of program outlines for the youth program.
- Finding aid: microfilm R85, pp 1542–1618.
Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church history. – 1937?, 1966, ca. 1970, ca. 1978, 1980.
0.5 cm of textual records and 8 pp (microfilm).
This series consists of some historical sketches (some written by Neil Funk), a 50th Anniversary publication of the congregation’s history including pictures dating from 1929-ca. 1979, and two pictures of the Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church taken around the year 1970 and 1985.
- Finding aid: Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church file list no. 1
- microfilm R85, pp 137–145.
Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church bulletins. – 1990, 2004, 2005, 2007-2009.
1 mm of textual records.
This series consists of one bulletin from November 11, 1990, with an insert for an ordination service for Harold Reimer.
Textual file list
- Finding aid: Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church file list no. 2.
Microfilm file list
- Elm Creek MB Church History. – 1937–1980.
- MB Church of Elm Creek Bulletins. – November 11, 1990.
- Church Directory. – 1978.
- Church Directory. – 1988.
- Constitution. – 1977.
- Church bulletins. -- 2005.
- Elm Creek MB Church annual reports and annual financial meeting minutes. -- 2008.
- Church bulletins. -- 2007
- Church bulletins. -- 2008
- Church bulletins. -- 2009
- Historical Data: brief summaries (Book I). – ca.1925–1977. – p.137–145.
- Family Register (Book IV). – ca.1925–1979. – p.279–331.
- Membership, Family and Marriage Registers (Book III). – ca.1929–1979. – p.197–278.
- Membership, Family and Marriage Registers (Book II). – ca.1933–1975. – p.146–196.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book V). – Mar.1929–Dec.1947. – p.332–461.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book VI). – May 1948–June 1956. – p.462–649.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book VII). – Aug.1956–Dec.1962. – p.650–837.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book VIII). – Feb.1963–Dec.1967. – p.838–1083.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book IX). – Jan.1968–Dec.1971. – p.1084–1241.
- Congregational Meeting Minutes (Book X) – Jan.1972–Dec.1975. – p.1242–1401.
- Church Council Meeting Minutes (Book XI). – Feb.1947–Oct.2, 1961. – p.1402–1474.
- Church Council Meeting Minutes (Book XI). – Mar.1972–Dec.1975. – p.1475–1541.
- Youth Committee Meeting, Program Outlines (Book XII). – May 1932–Dec.1954. – p.1542–1618.