Products & Servicescrack
Alphabetical Listing
Forms and Documents
Interactive
Resources & Training
Church Health
Leadership Development
Reaching Out
Finance
Kindred Productions
Publications
Theology
Tools for the local church
Christian Press
Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies
Mennonitische Rundschau Index
Canadian Conference of MB Churches
General Conference of MB Churches
John A. Toews Library
Katie Peters Genealogical Collection
MB Provincial Conferences and Churches
British Columbia Archives
British Columbia Provincial Archives
Alberta Archives
Saskatchewan Archives
Manitoba Archives
Ontario Archives
Quebec Archives
Maritimes Archives
Periodicals and newspapers
Other Mennonite and MB Organizations
About the Centre for MB Studies
Links to Related Sites
Archival Holdings
Theological Resources
Text To Terabyte Project
Mennonite Mirror
Festival Quarterly
Odessaer Zeitung
Mennonite Reporter
Sophia
PrintShareText Size:Small TextMedium TextLarge Text
 

1968–1988.
1 mm of textual records and 1 reel of microfilm.


Administrative history
Valleyview Bible Church in Kamloops, British Columbia started in 1967 when three families from the South Abbotsford Mennonite Brethren Church moved into the Kamloops area for employment. They began weeknight Bible and prayer sessions and Sunday school classes were held in Marion Schilling School.

In 1969, morning worship services began in the library of the small school with Norman Fehr as preacher. The Board of Church Extension of B.C. heard of this group and decided to support the group.

In 1970 the church was formalized with the name Valleyview Bible Church and Jake and Esther Balzer were the first pastors. The church grew by drawing in people from the community. Much discussion went on during this time concerning the type of building the group would need. In 1974 they had the dedication service in their new multi-purpose church building. The church grew in number and diversity.

In 1978, the church welcomed John and Anita Klassen, who had been studying at the seminary in Fresno, as their second pastor couple. At this time, the church had 52 members and in 2000, 111 baptized adult members.

Leaders of the congregation include the following: Jake Balzer (1970–1976), John Klassen (1978–1981), Reuben Pauls (1982–1995), LaMont Schmidt (1995–2002), Dan Warkentin (2002– ).

Scope and content
This fonds consists of a historical sketch, early beginnings (minutes and reports), their constitution, membership register, church building philosophy and use, financial reports, church council, church council (board) and congregational meeting minutes.

Custodial history
The historical sketch came to the centre in ca. 1988 when a history of congregations was being done by the Conference. The microfilmed material came to the archives after a Conference wide microfilming program in ca. 1978 lead by J.B. Toews.

Notes

Textual file list

Volume 369 Date
1.  Historical Sketch. ca. 1988 Microfilm file list

Reel 54 Date Pages
Early Beginnings (Minutes and Reports). 1971–1973 1747–1808
Constitution. 1977 2002–2030
Membership Register. 2295–2319
Congregational Meeting Minutes. 1974–1978 1809–1910
Church Council and Congregational Minutes (In Ledger). 1968–Feb 1975 2108–2294
Church Council (Board) Meeting Minutes. 1974–1978 1911–2000
Church Building (Philosophy and use). 1972–1973 2093–2107
Financial Reports. 1971–1978 2031–2092