Products & Servicescrack
Alphabetical Listing
Forms and Documents
Interactive
Resources & Training
Church Health
Leadership Development
Reaching Out
Finance
Kindred Productions
Publications
Theology
Tools for the local church
Christian Press
Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies
Mennonitische Rundschau Index
Canadian Conference of MB Churches
General Conference of MB Churches
John A. Toews Library
Katie Peters Genealogical Collection
MB Provincial Conferences and Churches
British Columbia Archives
Alberta Archives
Alberta Provincial Archives
Saskatchewan Archives
Manitoba Archives
Ontario Archives
Quebec Archives
Maritimes Archives
Periodicals and newspapers
Other Mennonite and MB Organizations
About the Centre for MB Studies
Links to Related Sites
Archival Holdings
Theological Resources
Text To Terabyte Project
Mennonite Mirror
Festival Quarterly
Odessaer Zeitung
Mennonite Reporter
Sophia
PrintShareText Size:Small TextMedium TextLarge Text
 

1933–1986.
1 cm of textual records and 1 microfilm reel.


Administrative history
In the late 1920s Mennonite families settled in the Crooked Creek area of northern Alberta. The Mennonite Brethren families worshiped together with the Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Holdeman) families. Since they were barred from taking communion together the Mennonite Brethren families built a school in the Cornwall area in 1936 and worshiped there. In 1943 they built their own meeting house. After the war years families starting moving away and the remaining families began to worship with the Holdeman group again. In 1955 the Mennonite Brethren families increased again to the point where the congregation re-opened in 1960 and joined the Mennonite Brethren conference. It was called the Crooked Creek Mennonite Brethren group, but in 1961–1963 it was referred to as the Cornwall Mennonite Brethren group. From 1964 to 1983 it was known as the Crooked Creek Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1964 a new meeting house was completed in the Ridgevalley hamlet between Crooked Creek and DeBolt. In the 1980s these facilities were less central but a rift caused a division in the congregation. The group that remained built a new meeting house in DeBolt in 1985. The congregation was now called the Gospel Light Church, DeBolt (Mennonite Brethren). In 1998 this remaining group decided to leave the Mennonite Brethren conference and joined the Christian and Missionary Alliance Conference.

The leaders of the congregation were: Peter Schroeder ([193-?]), Christian Hauff ([193-?-194-?]), Nick Thiessen (1960–1968), Peter Penner (1969–1981, 1986–1989), James Cornelsen (1982), Peter Doerksen (1983–1986), Robert Sukkau (1990–1991), Paul Warnock (1992–1998). 

Language of worship is English.

Scope and content
This fonds consists of brief congregational histories (1960, 1986), congregational bulletins (1985–1986), congregational annual meeting minutes and reports (1959–1977), congregational meeting minutes (1960–1976), church council meeting minutes (1968).

Custodial history
Records were transferred to the Centre for MB Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.

Notes
Series description

Gospel Light Church history.
1986.
0.2 cm of textual records.

This series consists of a brief congregational history (1986).

Gospel Light Church bulletins.
1985–1986.
0.8 cm of textual records.

This series consists of congregational bulletins (1985–1986).

Crooked Creek Mennonite Brethren Church history.
1933–1960.
8 pp.; microfilm.

This series consists of a brief congregational history (1960).

Crooked Creek Menn Brethren Church minutes.
1959–1977.
206 pp.; microfilm.

This series consists of congregational annual meeting minutes and reports (1959–1977), congregational meeting minutes (1960–1976), church council meeting minutes (1968).

Textual file list

Volume 329
  1. Gospel Light Church history. – 1986.
  2. Gospel Light Church bulletins. – 1985–1986.
Microfilm file list

Reel 54